Every person with an addiction who comes through the doors of Smarmore Castle has the chance to start their recovery journey and turn their lives around. We help change the lives of not just our residents, but their loved ones – wives, husbands, parents, children, friends. At Smarmore Castle our vision of 'recovery' goes beyond helping patients when they are here we want to help them forge their very best life with the therapeutic tools they need to stay abstinent and live fulfilled lives in recovery. This is as true today as it was 38 years ago when our founders, Peter and Dr Margaret McCann founded their first addiction treatment centre in the UK.
About Our Addiction Treatment ModelSmarmore Castle's treatment programme follows an abstinence-based model of recovery from alcohol and drug addiction, gambling addiction and dual-diagnosis. After detoxification under the care of our medical team of doctors and nurses, our intensive therapy programme gives you the tools you need to stay abstinent. Our 38 years of experience shows that abstinence-based treatment really works – the 12 step philosophy used by AA and NA has helped millions of people all over the world to recover.
Other evidence-based studies show that 12 Step treatment is even more effective than other therapies such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) for increasing abstinence. At Smarmore Castle our model follows not only the 12 Step programme, but also incorporates cognitive behavioural therapy, dialectical behaviour therapy and complementary therapies, as well as using a trauma-informed approach. Hundreds of people from all over Ireland and Europe have turned to Smarmore Castle for quality treatment, extensive facilities, expertly delivered therapies and dedicated family support.
Our Experienced TeamOur medical treatment is under the direction of leading Consultant Psychiatrist Professor Gerard Lynch and HSE GP coordinator in addiction services Dr Hugh Gallagher. Our team of medical and clinical staff have experience in treating many of the co-occurring disorders and issues that need to be addressed as part of an addiction treatment plan, such as trauma, depression, stress, bereavement, anxiety and burn-out.
Smarmore Castle is a fine period house steeped in history and charm, incorporating the Tower, which dates back to 1320. It is located in Ardee, a town in the Irish Borders, about 45 minutes north of Dublin International Airport and 1.5 hours south of Belfast International Airport. Our 15 acres of parkland and woods is a relaxed and tranquil environment conducive to healing and recovery.
FoundersSmarmore Castle was founded by the directors of Castle Craig Hospital in Scotland, which was established in 1988 by Peter and Dr Margaret McCann, as a residential rehabilitation hospital treating people suffering from alcohol and drug addictions. Prior to that, the McCanns founded Clouds House in Wiltshire in 1983. Read about Peter McCann's own recovery journey here
High-Quality StandardsWe incorporate the high standards of our founding clinic, Castle Craig, into the service provided at Smarmore Castle Private Clinic. Smarmore has gained a strong reputation in Ireland and around Europe for high quality medical and therapeutic treatment, extensive services and dedicated family support.
Scotland, UKCastle Craig is a world-renowned addiction treatment clinic, founded in 1988 by Peter and Dr Margaret McCann, Castle Craig has helped thousands of people start their recovery journey with their leading model for alcohol rehab, drug rehab and gambling rehab.Located in the stunning countryside of the Scottish Borders, near Edinburgh, the beautiful 50-acre woodland estate is a relaxed and tranquil environment conducive to healing and recovery.
IrelandIn 2015, the McCann family opened Smarmore Castle Private Clinic in County Louth, Ireland. Smarmore Castle is a 22-bed rehab clinic under medical direction and boasts a swimming pool with a spa and a fitness gym for the wellness of patients. The origins of the castle date back to the 14th century.
The NetherlandsIn 2000, Castle Craig opened a centre in The Hague, Netherlands, to assist patients from the Netherlands. Since 2008, Castle Craig Nederlands, directed by Frances Beek, has been recognised as an independent outpatient mental health care facility. We have a network of offices around the country and our own team including a Medical Director, consultant psychiatrists and therapists.
SwedenStockholms beroendekliniken provides assessments and continuing care, as well as family therapy, to people with alcohol addiction, drug addiction and co-occurring mental health conditions. We have had a base in Stockholm since 2017 under the direction of Anna Sjostrom. In early 2021 Anna and Castle Craig launched Stockholms beroendekliniken to offer comprehensive outpatient care for people with alcohol and drug addiction in Sweden and Scandinavia. The CEO of Stockholms beroendekliniken is, Anna Sjostrom, and behind her, she has an experienced clinical and therapeutic addiction treatment team. Anna has worked in the addiction field since 1995.
LondonCATCH Recovery is an outpatient clinic based in South Kensington, servicing the South of England. The experienced team at CATCH offer outpatient rehab therapy, addiction assessments, online therapy, referral to inpatient rehab, aftercare groups, recovery yoga. At CATCH people from London can continue to be connected to the therapeutic models and groups of Smarmore Castle and Castle Craig
A deeper dive into castlecraig.co.uk
Common questions asked about www.castlecraig.co.uk
1. What addictions does Castle Craig treat?Castle Craig rehab treats a wide range of addictions, including drug addiction, gambling addiction, and other behavioral addictions. They also provide treatment for co-occurring mental health issues such as depression, trauma, anxiety, or mood disorders. Their comprehensive approach addresses both the addiction and underlying mental health issues to promote lasting recovery.
2. What types of therapy are offered at Castle Craig?Castle Craig offers a clinically proven treatment program that includes a variety of therapies. These include 12 Step therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), and complementary therapies such as equine therapy, oxygen therapy, fitness, massage, and acupuncture. The combination of these therapies provides a holistic approach to addiction treatment.
3. What are the accommodation options at Castle Craig?Castle Craig offers a range of comfortable private and shared en-suite bedrooms to suit different preferences and budgets. Many rooms have beautiful views of the Scottish hills through Georgian windows. All detox rooms are single-occupancy and en-suite to ensure privacy during the recovery process.
4. How experienced is the treatment team at Castle Craig?Castle Craig has been a leader in addiction rehab since 1988 and has treated over 10,000 patients. Their team of doctors, nurses, and therapists is led by Consultant Psychiatrists and a Medical Director. With decades of experience, the treatment team at Castle Craig provides expert care and guidance throughout the recovery journey.
5. What is the success rate of Castle Craig's treatment?Castle Craig has a strong track record of helping patients achieve long-term abstinent recovery. While individual success rates may vary, the majority of patients who have passed through Castle Craig's doors have gone on to achieve lasting recovery. The comprehensive treatment approach, experienced team, and supportive environment contribute to the high success rates at Castle Craig.
Some reasons to choose castlecraig.co.uk
Wide Range of Addictions TreatedCastle Craig rehab treats a variety of addictions, including drug addiction, gambling addiction, and other behavioral addictions. They also address co-occurring mental health issues such as depression, trauma, anxiety, and mood disorders.
Comprehensive Addiction TherapyThe addiction therapists at Castle Craig deliver a clinically proven treatment program that includes 12 Step therapy, CBT, DBT, EMDR, and complementary therapies. These therapies may include equine therapy, oxygen therapy, fitness, massage, and acupuncture.
Comfortable and Beautiful AccommodationCastle Craig offers a range of comfortable private and shared en-suite bedrooms to suit different preferences and budgets. Many of these rooms have stunning views of the Scottish hills through Georgian windows. All detox rooms are single-occupancy and en-suite for maximum privacy.
Experienced and Qualified TeamWith over 10,000 patients treated since 1988, Castle Craig has a team of experienced doctors, nurses, and therapists. The team is led by Consultant Psychiatrists and a Medical Director, ensuring that patients receive expert treatment for their drug and alcohol addiction.
Long-Term Recovery SuccessThe majority of patients who have passed through Castle Craig's doors have achieved long-term abstinent recovery. With their comprehensive treatment approach and dedicated team, Castle Craig has a proven track record of helping individuals overcome addiction and maintain lasting recovery.
UK (West Linton) based business - established in 1988 - providing rehab treatments for those suffering from addictions. Website includes details of services provided, work examples, details of business premises, "meet the team" information, press mentions, associations, full contact details.
Signals of trust found on website
Googlebot last visited this page...
28 hrs 50 mins ago
Latest blog entry
From Sobriety to Society – How to Re-integrate into Everyday Life After Rehab
published on 22 November 2023
Site last visited by us on...
26 November 2023
Average page load time
Information on how we determine signs of trust
- Full company contact address and
phone number found
- Associations found
- Details of business premises
- Detailed 'Meet the Founder' info found
- Examples of work listed
- Details of their company mentioned in popular press publications / media outlets
- Company established in 1988
- Website secured by SSL certificate
Snapshots of castlecraig.co.uk may include domain name holding pages